We strongly encourage applications from people of colour, the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, neurodivergent people, parents, carers, and people from lower socio-economic backgrounds.
If there’s anything we can do to accommodate your specific situation, please let us know.
Most people come to Cleo to do work that matters. Every day, we fight for the world’s financial health, building a beloved AI that empowers people to make better financial decisions.
Backed by some of the most well-known investors in tech, we’ve reached over 4 million users and plan to double that number each year...which is where you come in.
We’re looking for a brilliant Frontend React/React Native Engineer with an eye for UI/UX design to join us on our mission to fight for the world's financial health. You’ll be joining a team of adaptable, creative and product-focused engineers who ship working software. We understand our customers, we understand their pain, and we are passionate about helping them.
What you’ll be doing
- Joining a cross-functional product squad with a mix of frontend engineers, designers, UX writers, backend engineers, data analysts and others to develop features that improve our users’ financial health
- Collaborating with other leaders in your squad and pillar to provide technical insight into upcoming feature work, and leading the delivery of work by helping pull everyone together to get it shipped
- Mentoring your colleagues to help them become the best engineers they can be. You intentionally take time to share your skills and experiences with them and actively support their growth
- Working on our React Native application, building out amazing experiences for our users which bring financial health to life in the unique Cleo tone of voice.
- Writing automated tests alongside your code to give us the confidence to ship it
- Using AB-Tests, feature flags and other tools that let us iterate quickly
- Using data to dig into user journeys, detecting problems and helping to optimise the Cleo experience
- Being part of the rota for our weekly app releases to the Apple and Google app stores
- Getting involved in cross-cutting concerns that lift our entire engineering effort with the rest of the frontend chapter
- Taking part in shaping all the work your squad does, not just the technical parts. Delivery is a team sport, and we encourage everyone at Cleo to share their ideas, so you can expect to be involved in product ideation sessions, user research calls, design reviews, retrospectives, ways of working sessions, product demos, OKR reviews.
Here are some examples, big and small, of the kinds of product feature work our engineers have taken part in over the last year:
- Building a secured credit card from scratch to help our users improve their credit scores without changing their habits.
- Launching our new budget rewind feature to help users understand their pay-cycle and provide them with better analysis of how they got on with their budget.
- Adding discount plans and tiering options to our subscriptions so we can experiment with the best pricing for different types of users.
Whichever squad and part of the business you land in, you will be shipping changes multiple times a week to our hundreds of thousands of active users and seeing your work having a material impact on the financial health of those most in need.
For this frontend focused role, we also have some specific asks:
- As this is a SE3-SE4 position we’re looking for someone who has strong industry experience of using React and/or React Native with TypeScript for a minimum of 4 years. If it’s not quite that much then maybe you want to look at our standard Frontend role
- As your work will primarily involve working on features for our mobile apps, we’d either like to see some proven experience in this area or a genuine passion for moving into the mobile app space.
Why should I apply?
- There’s a clear engineering career growth framework. Whether you want to develop your career as a sole contributor or head down the engineering management track, you can grow with us!
- You’ll be joining an open and collaborative team where you’ll be heard and get to make a difference
- You’ll be joining a team of respected frontend engineers
- Work where you work best … We’re a globally distributed team. If you live in London, we’d love you to spend one day a week in our beautiful office. If you’re outside of London, we’ll encourage you to spend a couple of days with us a few times per year. And we’ll cover your travel costs, naturally.
- Work when you work best … we have flexible hours to enable you to work at your best
What do you get for all your hard work?
- A competitive compensation package (base + equity) with bi-annual reviews - This position is a SE4 level and we can pay £79,396-£96,792 p.a depending on experience.
- Work at one of the fastest-growing tech startups, backed by top VC firms, Balderton & EQT Ventures
- A clear progression plan. We want you to keep growing. That means trying new things, leading others, challenging the status quo and owning your impact. Always with our complete support.
- Flexibility: We can’t fight for the world’s financial health if we’re not healthy ourselves. We work with everyone to make sure they have the balance they need to do their best work
- Other benefits;
- 25 days Annual leave a year + public holidays (+ an additional day for every year you spend at Cleo)
- 401k matching in the US and 6% employer-matched pension in the UK
- Early finish every Friday
- Online courses & internal training to level up your skills
- Regular socials and activities, online and in-person
- Online mental health support via Spill
- Access to Pushfar - online platform for external mentorship
- And many more!
UK App access: The Cleo app is no longer downloadable in the UK (but only until next year). If you’re an existing user, you’ll still have access to the app. But some features won’t be available (just for a little while). Why? 99% of our users are based in the US – where financial health is often overlooked. We’ve decided to shift our focus to where we can provide the most value and make the greatest impact for users who need it most. Then we’ll be able to apply what we learn to better support our UK users in the future.