Senior Scala Engineer
London, United Kingdom
Technologies & frameworks
Benefits & perks
To sum it up...
Welcome to Depop. We are the social marketplace where over 12M people come to buy, sell and discover unique items. Our mission is to empower creative minds by making our platform the place for the most vibrant communities in the world. 😁
With headquarters in London, spaces in LA and New York, we have a team of more than 100 people dedicated to enhancing and developing the Depop experience for our global communities. And we’re just getting started.
Depop is a rapidly scaling business and we’re on the hunt for a Senior Scala Engineer to join our Tech team.💻
Our Scala engineers are passionate about creating great software from their local environment through to production. We love functional programming and hope you do too.
Want to find out more about Depop & our engineering team? Take a look at our blog! We write about technology, people and smart engineering - https://engineering.depop.com/
- Work closely with Product Managers, Designers, Front-End and other Backend Developers to understand problems and to design solutions.
- Produce high quality code which is well-structured and simple to understand which will be used by over 500,000+ active daily users
- Embrace agile methodologies and engage in a culture of continuous improvement by attending events such as book club, functional meet up, blameless post-mortems, architecture review, war games, hack days
- Collaborate on a daily basis with fellow developers to solve problems and write code
- You’ll own your code through its entire lifecycle, including deployment to production
- Significant experience with
Scalaand its ecosystem of libraries
- Experience building performant, scalable apps for serving
RESTfulcontent or processing/ingesting data
- Experience working with
- Ability to proactively find and solve complex problems independently
- A desire for continuous learning in software architecture, functional programming or other relevant disciplines.
- Experience with the
- Experience with event driven architectures, preferably using
- Experience deploying code to production
- Experience in using production
AWSinfrastructure, ideally with
- Contribution to open-source libraries
- Tech blog posts
- Degree level knowledge of Computer Science or related technical field.
We want to give our engineers the opportunity to learn and grow at Depop. So if you're keen to gain experience in another language or new area of engineering we can make it happen as part of your career journey with us. Depop offers the opportunity to work with such a vibrant and diverse group of people, building a product we all deeply care about.
London is the capital of the United Kingdom, situated in the South East of the island. The world's largest financial centre, London is also often referred to the culture capital of the world. The city is well-known for its heritage, including Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London, Kew Gardens, Westminster Abbey, and the historic settlement of Greenwich. London Underground is the oldest urban railway network in the world.
Technology workers in London earn 60pc more than the city average, with the figure even higher for foreign born workers, who earned 28pc more than their British counterparts in tech jobs. London can be considered as a center for professional relocation. Furthermore, there are over 100 of Europe's 500 largest companies' headquarters in London.
The city is famous for unpredictable weather. For instance, it could be cold, warm and rainy in one day and it’s often the topic of conversation across the city.
Did you know...
- 2.5M people, one third of Londoners, are foreign born
- 40% of Greater London is green space
Technologies & frameworks